The students of NRE 501.037 – Urban Sustainability visiting the former Packard Automotive Plant (October 6, 2014).
The Packard Automotive Plant, built on over 40 acres, was closed in 1958 and has been abandoned since. Recently, the property was purchased for $405,000 and the new owner plans to build a mixed-use development while restoring some of the old structures. Its ruins provide a stark contrast to the modern Ford Rouge Factory, encouraging us to think critically about their places in history and the urban fabric of Detroit.
Additional view from inside the former Packard Automotive Plant. Photo by Jeremy Good.
The Ford Rouge Factory vehicle body assembly. Atop the building sits a 10.4-acre living roof for collection of stormwater and energy conservation. Photo by Jeremy Good.